Saturday, September 26, 2009

Zelda "Link Hat" Free Pattern

I decided to make my husband a Link Hat. We have been watching a lot of "The Legend of Neil" lately and he is a major Zelda fan so I killed two birds with one stone :D The best part is I didn't have to model this one ;) So for those of you who love Zelda or want to make a Link costume for Halloween now you can ;D







Zelda Link Hat
By: AprilDraven

For personal use only

Gauge: 4 inches = 12 stitches and 8 rows
My head size is 22 and a half inches around so adjust your hook size accordingly. Remember yarn stretches a little bit so this hat will fit inches bigger too.

Yarn: regular 4 ply worsted yarn

H hook

Abbreviations:
Rnd: round
Sc: single crochet
Hdc: half double crochet
Dc: double crochet
Ss: slip stitch
FO: Fasten off
Fpdc: Front post double crochet
Bpdc: Back post double crochet

(Work in the round, with a marker, unless specified differently)

Ch 1 or use magic circle
Rnd 1: Ch 2, 8 dc in ring (ch 2 counts as a dc)
Rnd 2: dc in each dc around
Rnd 3: *1 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (12)
Rnd 4: dc in each dc around
Rnd 5: *2 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (16)
Rnd 6: dc in each dc around
Rnd 7: *3 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (20)
Rnd 8: dc in each dc around
Rnd 9: *4 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (24)
Rnd 10: dc in each dc around
Rnd 11: *5 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (28)
Rnd 12: dc in each dc around
Rnd 13: *6 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (32)
Rnd 14: dc in each dc around
Rnd 15: *7 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (36)
Rnd 16: dc in each dc around
Rnd 17: *8 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (40)
Rnd 18: dc in each dc around
Rnd 19: *9 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (44)
Rnd 20: dc in each dc around
Rnd 21: *10 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (48)
Rnd 22: dc in each dc around
Rnd 23: *11 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (52)
Rnd 24: dc in each dc around
Rnd 25: *12 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (56)
Rnd 26: dc in each dc around
Rnd 27: *13 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (60)
Rnd 28: dc in each dc around
Rnd 29: *14 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (64)
Rnd 30: dc in each dc around
Rnd 31: *15 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (68)
Rnd 32: dc in each dc around
Rnd 33: *16 dc, 2 dc in next dc* rep from * to * around (72)
Rnd 34: hdc in each dc around, join with 1 ss
Rnd 35-40: ch 2, * 1 fpdc, 1 bpdc* rep from * to * around, join with 1 ss to top of first fpdc (6 rounds)
FO
This Pattern hasn't been tested yet. If you run into any problems let me know. Everything should be fine though :D

**********************************************************************
Creative Commons License
This work by April Folts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

*******************************************************************************
Any donations are welcome and appreciated.




28 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVED it!

needlekrafter said...

this is fantastic!

Kayla Brink said...

love your Zelda goodies - i was just wondering what yarn you did use to get the right green? i can't find a color I like at my local stores, so I was wondering if I could bum the answer off of you! THANK YOU

AprilDraven said...

Kayla: I am pretty sure it was forest green.

Ginger said...

My Boys are so excited about this hat! Will let you know how it turns out! Thanks!

AprilDraven said...

Thanks! I would love to know how it turns out :)

Debbie Jean said...

I made this hat for my son and made it a bit smaller by only increasing to 60 stitches then finishing it. It came out great! Thanks so much for the pattern!!

AprilDraven said...

awesome! I did that same thing for my daughter a while ago so she didn't have to wear Daddy's hat haha.

Ginger said...

Made the hat for my oldest son. He loves it!! I also made the mushroom/mario hat for my youngest son. Just got it done. He has worn it ALL day! Now I am working on the star hat for my 5 year old daughter. Thanks for the patterns. We are having so much fun! BTW, I had to ask my son what NIN stood for...lol!!

AprilDraven said...

LOL I'm glad everyone liked it :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mystic Marie said...

:( I am still having a really hard time reading patterns, any advice?

AprilDraven said...

Mystic Marie: yep,for a while while you are still learning, write out the abbreviations. Eventually you will know what they are because you wrote them out so many times. Also try using a highlighter to help keep your place. Count the stitches at the end of every row/rnd just in case you lost count or dropped a stitch. Try using a marker even when you don't need to. That way you don't get lost. What exactly are you getting hung up on?

Leeanne said...

I really want to use this pattern but I'm not quite understanding it. When you work in the rounds do you do it multiple times? I'm working on the very beginning and it just isn't coming out right, it's flaring out too quickly.

Hana Kaicho said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Otter One said...

Its a great hat. I had to chain 2 at the end of every row, I couldn't get it to work otherwise, but that was me, not your pattern! The boy I made it for is really excited! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love this hat. You can just change the color of the hat to be the different link's hats. I'm planning on making a few for my friends. But I was going to sell some hats for my gamer club at my school because it gives me something to do and some money sense I'm on a tight budget. I'll make sure to credit you and leave a tag, in the hats, to your website for more info about creator of the hat. THANK YOU for pattern. And it give a guy a change to step away from the video games.

bronyae said...

Your hat gained me points w my gym teacher which i hardcore needed I LOVE YOU!!!!!

elizabeth said...

Thank you soooooo much! I have been looking for a Link hat pattern for a long time! I have a 12 year old brother in law that has been wanting one since he was 3, again, thanks!
Elizabeth

Charisse's Cove said...

Dearest April,
I've made 2 of ur Link hats. I've had to adjust the pattern tho because the circumference is way too big. I switched to a G hook and only increase to the 12:1 ratio. Then I still have to decrease to fit a 24" head. I didn't use the fpdc/bpdc, does that make it decrease?
Charisse

Unknown said...

My hat came out fantastic! Thank you sooooo much for sharing this. I wish I could show you a picture. If I figure out how to I will upload it so you can see!! Thanks again! <3

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I want to make this for my friend, but its to short. How would you remedy this, without having it be holey?

Unknown said...

Made this for my grandson, he's been waiting like forever for me to make it, your pattern was great!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think that I'm missing something in the pattern. It's flaring out too quickly and the stitch numbers at the end are not matching up. For round 5 there is no way it equals to 16 at the end. It equals to 24. What am I doing wrong?

Unknown said...

I figured it out. Thank you.

Ragrugsbyjoyce said...

Just made the hat.
But I did not use the chain 3 as a DC
If you do that the count will be off
Other than that great pattern