Saturday, May 8, 2010

GIR Bag (Invader Zim)

I love GIR from Invader Zim so I just had to make a bag ;D I wear a lot of skirts without pockets and I hate having a purse so I figured I would crochet a small bag to carry my stuff in. I still need to put some velcro in the pocket to keep it shut. I haven't decided on if I want to keep the main part closed or not, I kinda like it open.

What do you think?


Ok here is the pattern:

GIR Bag

By: AprilDraven

For Personal Use only

Hook size: 3.25 MM for the pocket and H hook for the rest of the bag

Yarn: 100% Acrylic Worsted Weight 4 ply

Abbreviations:
Rnd: round
Sc: single crochet
Ss: slip stitch
FO: Fasten off

Make the Gir pocket first so you can make sure you are making the bag wide enough.
With 3.25MM hook
Ch 31, turn, sc in 2nd chain from hook and in every sc across, ch 1, turn, 15 sc then start the chart.



Crochet loose or else it will turn out looking more like an hour glass than a rectangle.(That is what happened to mine) when you finish the pocket,if you want, sc around the whole thing 3 rounds. FO

The body of the bag: Use H hook

Ch 31, turn, sc in 2nd loop from hook and in every stitch across.

ch 1, Sc 80 rows. (Or until your pocket fits) *NOTE: If chaining 31 isn’t enough for your pocket to have about a half an inch clearance on both sides chain some more.

Fold in half and sew up the sides

Turn inside out

Straps:
At the top of the bag where the seam is, count 10 stitches on each side of the seam. The seam being in the middle and 20 stitches total. Attach yarn and sc 20 stitches. (I hope this makes sense)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 16 sc, sc2tog (18)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 14 sc, sc2tog (16)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 12 sc, sc2tog (14)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 10 sc, sc2tog (12)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 8 sc, sc2tog (10)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 6 sc, sc2tog (8)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 4 sc, sc2tog (6)

Ch 1, turn, sc2tog, 2 sc, sc2tog (4)

For 50 rows: ch 1, 4 sc, turn

Repeat for the other side and sew the 2 straps tog.

Attach green yarn and sc around the front and back edges of the bag.
**********************************************************************
Creative Commons License
This work by April Folts is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

*******************************************************************************
Any donations are welcome and appreciated.




13 comments:

Beth said...

That's epic! I lurv it ^_^

Saintsational Hooker said...

I LOVE IT TOO!!!!!! I'ts so classic
! kudos

AprilDraven said...

Thanks you guys :) I love GIR hehe

-R said...

April, if you make it in tunisian crochet, it might be sturdier. I'm going to give it a go, and let you know how it comes out. We LOVe Gir too - my 3 kiddos fight over the Gir I made from your pattern. Ever think of making Zim too?

AprilDraven said...

Thanks :) Have fun

sapphirestarflake said...

:D I love it!!! I think I wanna try this, and incorporate the word "tacos" underneath it. lol you're amazing at making patterns!

AprilDraven said...

Thanks :D

just me said...

I love your page. I am finding so many great gift ideas for Christmas!!

AprilDraven said...

Thanks! glad to help :)

SleepingBeanie said...

THANK YOU FOR THIS PATTERN!!!! I am making this for my sister-in-law for x-mas, she is a Zim FANATIC! :D

Suzie said...

I can't stand Invader Zim but my son loves it. I will definitely use this pattern and I thank you for it.

Unknown said...

how do u get the u shape in the top of the bag

T said...

I just found your bag. thank you so much. my 10 yr old son sees me making all these bags for his sister and for the young girls at my church and he wants one. I am having a hard time finding something tailored toward a boy or that would appeal to him. we are also a Zim household. lol thank you again!